A recipe that originally calls for dry sherry, this scallop, chorizo, and black pudding recipe works perfectly with our brand new Borders single grain Scotch whisky. Finished in Oloroso Sherry casks, the whisky takes on a heavy dry, nutty Sherry influence, making it the ideal substitute in the ingredients list – and a great dram on the side.
50ml extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsbp Borders single grain Scotch whisky
fresh scallops, roes removed
3 x black pudding discs, approx. 1.5cm thick
6 x chorizo slices, approx. 1.5cm thick
½ lemon, juice only
chopped parsley to garnish
1. Heat 1 tsbp of the measured oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the black pudding discs and cook evenly on each side until crisp around the edges. Remove and leave to drain on two sheets of kitchen paper.
- Add the chorizo slices and cook evenly on each side. Add Borders single grain whisky and allow the chorizo to begin to crisp. Remove and leave to drain on two sheets of kitchen paper.
- Rub 1 tbsp of the measured oil over the scallops in the same hot pan for 30 seconds on each side. Reserve any juices in the pan.
- Mix in the juice of ½ a lemon and the rest of the olive oil. Heat this gently.
- Plate up the scallops, black pudding, and chorizo and spoon the heated sauce over the plate.
- Serve with a dram of Borders single grain.